/*---------- GOOGLE Meta Tag ----------*/

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Safe Heaven

Just last thursday I had my last management & organization tutorial and tutor mentioned something that in life its very important to find your safe haven. When it comes to management it can be a lonely job up there and its essential to find a source of rejunvenation.

I was just thinking perhaps the Deep Blue Sea in my HDB is that safe haven for me. Its something that makes me happy and takes my worries away. For the past week I've been doing some hard core coding in the computer labs, and I stayed a total of more than 24hrs in the lab just yesterday! But when i come home or when i'm on my way home, i usually find myself thinking how are the fishies? did the timer swtich the lights on? has the coral larvae grown a little more? is the chemical media working to clear up the water. Sometimes i come back and there's algae and i have to scrub the tank a little, other times everything looks good and i just feed my fish. But yeah it does take my mind away for a bit.

So today I did a full water parameter test.
Salinty: 1.022
Temp: 26.5
pH: 8.0
dKh: 10
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrates: 25mg/L

I added some buffer to raise both the pH and dKh. Optimal levels are 8.3 and 12 respectively. Nitrites are zero! Lovely! Even with the pair of clowns and all the uneaten food rotting away, nitrites and zero which means the bio filters are working! Nitrates stayed at 25mg/L and so its bordering between an ok and a its time to do something kinda level.

There's been signifcant diatom and algae growth and its really irritating! I was thinking of a fish that eats them up or perhaps the UV light to destroy them but as I was analysing further, I realise that diatoms and algaes are not problems, they are symptoms. symptoms that there is a fair amount of nutrient levels in the water. I've introduced a phosphate remover into the system last week and through my observation diatom growth is still strong. So the next source of nutrients would be nitrates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home